Okanagan Jewish Community Association (OJCA); Kelowna, BC
We are looking for a versatile, inspirational leader to guide a small congregation of multiple denominations and generations. Adaptability is essential, as you will be serving the varied religious, spiritual, educational, and emotional needs of the OJCA members, and acting as a liaison to the larger community. This is an opportunity to foster a congregation that will develop along with you.
Bimah and Pastoral Duties
- Lead regular religious services, including holidays
- Provide spiritual and emotional support to members
Education: Hebrew School, B’nai Mitzvah and Conversion Instruction
- Develop and teach weekly religious school lessons (ages 5-12), prepare students (including adults) for b’nai mitzvah, mentor and counsel conversion candidates
- Provide educational programs to the general congregation
- Officiate at simchot (weddings, brises, b’nai mitzvah), funerals, etc., including interfaith ceremonies
- Provide bikkur cholim, shiva and bereavement support for community members
Synagogue Outreach and Membership Development
- Grow OJCA membership by creating an inviting atmosphere for new families, including interfaith and non-practicing community members
- Encourage a sense of community within the congregation
- Develop innovative ideas for community events, including Tikkun Olam
- Write a monthly column for the website and newsletter
- Serve as Ambassador for the OJCA in the community at large
- Foster respectful relationships with other local religious organizations
- Maintain regular office hours
- Attend Board meetings and prepare Rabbi’s report
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Rabbinical ordination from an accredited program/seminary
- Pluralistic or non-denominational training is a plus
- Congregational experience is a plus, but recent graduates with relevant skills will be considered — we are looking for a leader who will grow with us
- Comprehensive Jewish spiritual and cultural knowledge
- High personal, ethical and professional standards
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Outstanding leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong background in education
- Adaptability and Stress management
- Computer proficiency (social media skills are a plus)
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Work Remotely: No
Allow Facebook Applications: No
Send resume and cover letter to:
For a more detailed job description package, or if you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary Range: Negotiable based on qualifications and experience
Benefits: We are committed to supporting our permanent rabbi with a benefits package specific to the needs of the selected candidate
Position Start Date: Flexible.
The Okanagan Jewish Community Association (OJCA) is located in the heart of the Okanagan Valley in beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia.
From young families to mature retirees, OJCA members from varied Jewish backgrounds come together to create a welcoming, pluralistic congregation. We are actively involved in the culturally diverse Okanagan community at large, and we are ready for a permanent rabbi to lead us forward into our next chapter.
On the shores of Okanagan Lake, Kelowna is a four-season playground, and is the fastest-growing city in Canada.
Surrounded by mountains, trails, parks, glacial lakes, beaches and golf courses, it is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream.
The Okanagan is recognized as a world-class wine region, and boasts more than 120 wineries. In addition, water sports, snow sports, biking, hiking and equestrian activities make Kelowna a popular vacation destination.
Kelowna’s quaint, pedestrian-friendly downtown features an array of excellent restaurants, unique shopping and a vibrant cultural scene. Locals enjoy concerts, performances, festivals and hockey games, among a multitude of other social activities.
Strong schools, post-secondary institutions, a growing technology industry, a large hospital and an international airport complement daily life in this remarkable setting.
All of these amenities and a wonderful sense of community spirit ensure that this city offers something for everyone.
Position Tags: rabbi, full-time, growing, unaffiliated, congregation, synagogue, Canada, Hebrew school
Timing Expectations: Full Time; potential provision (as scheduling permits) of rabbinical services to the greater community, including: hospital/hospice chaplaincy, military chaplaincy, UBCO/Okanagan College Jewish student services, online religious outreach for remote communities, destination wedding services, etc.